terça-feira, 17 de março de 2009

Less is best!

I'm a 33 (almost 34) mother of two, a boy D. who is 4, going 5 in April, and L. a girl, that just turned two in January.
Besides being a mother I'm a Kindergarten teacher sine 1997, so I think that I was really prepared to be a mother, when the time came and nothing was new to me... well, besides the slepless nights when they get sick, and the part that when you leave the other kids in kindergarten you still have your kids to mind, but that is fine ( some days better then others!):P!
And everything moved on smoothly until it was time to choose a Kindergaten for D.. Since I work in a nursery the problem never presented itself until that time. And the time matched my pregancy with L. (that wasn´t planed but we were really happy about it).
I never had a doubt, I knew wich kindergarten I wanted if he wouldn´t enter the state one (wich is almost impossible until childre are 5 in Portugal and it´s manadatory to begin preschool), due to my experience and learnings while Iwas in college and working around other places. The problem with the kindergarten was that it's really expensive. So after some arguments, and with the help of the garndparents, we decided that the one I had chosen was the one!
But why did I chose it? At the time it was the best in Lisbon (were we live), the best meaning that it had the things I belive in. There aren´t almost any plastic toys, the kids had a nap after lunch, the classes are small and familiar, the place is a big farmhouse with lots of gardens, a sand one, as well, with water where they can make anything their imagination choses, an orchard, a vegetable path and even a vineyard ( the kids from primary school pick up grapes and make wine in September)! It's just next door to the biggest wood in Lisbon and the food is not that bad (compared to the usual).
But two years passed and I don't know if it's due to age, or if it's just our constant changing, or the proximity of D. going to primary school, and L. needing to change soon to kindergarten, that sounded some bells in my head and made me start questioning some things.
More and more I started to fell that children ( at least my children the one at home and in the nursery I work in ) don't really have time to be children, and that our ( adults) caothic life is making them grow to much to fast. And so, I started to question my decisions and my posture has a mother and as an educator.
I fell we worry to much about showing that kids can do lots of things, and that they are smarter each year that passes , and we hurry them and don't really appreciate these important years that go so fast. So I came to the conclusion that less is best!
I don't really care if my children go to top schools in academic meanings but that they go to top schools in human meanings. And in that quest I found out waldorf education, that I already knew vaguely from a college friend that works in a waldorf kindergarten in Alfragide (one of the few), and I started readind books and online and also found about homeschooling, and the laws that apply to it in Portugal, and I'm really thinking that maybe I have to make a big change in my life and in my kids life!

1 comentário:

  1. Quando se toma consciência pela primeira vez, parece que se vai tratar de uma GRANDE mudança. Mas uma vez a decisão tomada, tudo parece tão natural e tão CERTO que o que nos passa a parecer incrível é como é que nunca nos tínhamos dado conta antes...

    ResponderEliminar